Tuesday 6 August 2013

Food or Sleep - a challenging decision

Without fail on trips to the US I get to the end of the first full day desperate to get to sleep. This constant pattern over the years is the reason that I opt to stay in the town of arrival for the first few days, to get time to acclimatise before driving a car. Well Sunday night was the night this time.

Having had a brilliant day we went back to the hotel spruced ourselves up and were heading back out for dinner at 7.00 p.m. Drew had picked some preferred eating places for our trip as part of the preparations. In Washington he had chosen the Hill Country Barbecue and Market. Back in 2011 we had a great experience in the other of these restaurants in New York, you can read about it here. So Drew had hunted out the Washington branch.
View Larger Map

The place was absolutely packed when we got there. The Washington Branch is only two years old and has had some great reviews from the local press. Obviously word had got around about the quality of the food, and the fun of the experience. 

Though busy it wasn't a problem, after ten minutes we were seated and ready to go for the delights of the meat.

Given the nature of the ordering, going to a counter and asking for your meat, including how much you want, we ordered separately. 

Hill Country Barbecue, WashingtonHill Country Barbecue, Washington
In the pictures my dinner is on the left, Drew's on the right (corrected as I had inverted the two directions earlier). I opted for two slices of moist brisket, this is as opposed to 'lean brisket' so you might this the translation of moist is fat, but it tastes soft, smooth and delicious. I had this with Kreuz Sausage with jalapeno cheese a sausage with tight well cut meat (like all sausages no reason to ask what meat!!) and a lovely spicy jalapeno flavour. I also picked two sides, one of collard greens, which are a brassica not unlike kale and a 'bowl of red' as the chili is known here. Drew also opted for two slices of Moist Brisket, plain Kreuz Sausage and Cool as a Cucumber Salad. As I was eating an overwhelming feeling of jet lag came upon me, it was as much as I could do to keep eating my meat - though I did in fact manage it all. Drew on the other hand was feeling eager, and went back for more. This time he opted for two slices of chili rubbed belly pork another Kreuz Sausage and a side called confetti coleslaw as the next picture shows:     
Drew's second helping


The White House at Night, WashingtonIt is not often Drew out meats me, but he did tonight. I was so tired it was hard work getting up to leave. But we did manage to walk back to the hotel and take some photos of the White House at night as we walked past. 

So it was 9.30 to bed for me, tired, but full and happy.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Well spotted, I had confused right for left - which is part of the fun we have when on a journey - saying one, pointing at the other :-)

      Delete
    2. Now corrected in the text above

      Delete